Sunday, May 16, 2010

Elvis??? Really???

Well, Wednesday Jim's lip start doing its best Elvis impersonation. The muscle on right side of his mouth (above the corner of his lip)started "fasiculating" or spasming. This really scared him - plus he was dizzy. So off to the doctor we went. Of course our regular doctor and our "backup" doctor were already booked - so we got to meet ANOTHER new doc. This one was actually very nice and took time to really read Jim's records before doing anything (novel - huh?)

He came in and introduced himself - asked Jim what was going on - and Jim of course looks to me to answer. I look at the doctor and explained the new symptoms. The doctor literally just stared at me - then apologized "I'm sorry I am just trying to absorb this. It is a very unusual diagnosis" At least he was honest!! In addition to the face spasms his night "tremors" have started to break through his medication again. (FYI - Difference between spasm and tremor - got me. Neither of these are the "right" term - just what I named them as they showed up in the beginning. The correct term is fasiculation.)

Anyhow, this doctor increased the medication to controll the spasms from 40mg to 50 and okayed him to take another 10mg if needed. He has taken 60 everyday since. If he doesn't take the extra before bed he gets up to take on in the middle of the night. He is noticing the muscle movements now - something he never used to. Part of the reason I think is because he can't help but feel and see them in his arms and face.

I called the ALS neuro's office assitant on Wednesday and left a message. Friday I called again and got no response - turns out the physician assistant is not there anymore. Thank goodness for the FTD Physician assitant for solving that puzzle. But now I wasted Wed-Fri waiting for a call that never came. So Monday I will start at square one with the ALS neuro's office. I hate wasting time!! Will keep you posted!!

Also, on Wednesday Jim's Grandpa was admitted to ICU with a blood sugar level over 1,000. Luckily he seems to be doing better, he is out of ICU but still in the hospital as of this post. An extra prayer is appreciated.....THANKS

No comments:

Post a Comment